When McCormick Place opened in Chicago, IL in 1960, it had a special status as one of the first purpose-built convention centers in the country. Now, after 4 expansions between 1986 and 2017, it holds the title of the largest convention center in North America. With over 2.6 million square feet of exhibition space, McCormick Place also boasts 2 theaters, dozens of meeting rooms, several ballrooms, and over 600,000 square feet of meeting space.
McCormick Place hosts many conventions, trade shows, and meetings every year. Among the regulars are the Chicago Auto Show, the International Home and Housewares Show, and the National Restaurant Association Annual Show.
Location and Contact Information
McCormick Place is located on S King Drive in Chicago.
Street Address: 2301 S King Drive, Chicago, 60616
Web Contact: https://www.mccormickplace.com/about/contact-us/
As North America’s largest convention center, McCormick Place Chicago, has a vast array of options for meetings, conferences, and other events. Even so, earlier is always better when it comes to booking event space. Aim to start the process at least 18 months in advance of your planned event date to make sure you can secure the space you need.
To submit an RFP: https://www.mccormickplace.com/book-event/
Rooms and Spaces
For comprehensive information, including room sizes and dimensions, and an interactive virtual tour, click here.
McCormick Place West Building
- 470,000 square feet of exhibit space
- 61 meeting rooms, totaling 250,000 square feet
- Skyline Ballroom – Chicago’s biggest ballroom at over 100,000 square feet, plus extensive pre-function space
- Rooftop gardens – Over 10,000 square feet, including covered and uncovered outdoor spaces
McCormick Place South Building
- 840,000 square feet of exhibit space
- 43 meeting rooms, for a total of 156,000 square feet of space
- Two ballrooms – The Grand Ballroom (33,740 sq ft) and the Vista Ballroom (21,365 sq ft)
- Skybridge to Lakeside (east) building
McCormick Place North Building
- Two exhibit halls totaling 705,500 square feet of exhibit space
- 29 meeting rooms
- Grand Concourse Lobby, with 35,836 square feet of flexible space
- Skybridge to Lakeside (east) building
McCormick Place Lakeside Center (East Building)
- Two exhibit halls totaling 580,00 square feet of exhibit space
- 40 meeting rooms, totaling 141,000 square feet
- Lakeside Ballroom – 44,754-square-foot ballroom, which can be subdivided into two rooms
- Aerie Crown Theater – 4,188 seats
- Landscaped outdoor deck with views of Lake Michigan
- Skybridge to south and north buildings
- Sporting arena (the McCormick Place Events Center) with seating capacity for 10,387
Event Types at McCormick Place
The event calendar for this Chicago venue is always brimming because it can accommodate virtually any kind of event, thanks to its large and diverse array of spaces. The four separate buildings are designed to function independently and also to complement one another. Each single building can comfortably accommodate a mid-sized event, while larger events can spread across multiple buildings.
Exclusive and Preferred Vendors and Services
Food and Beverage
Telecommunications, Internet, Networking, and Cable TV Services
- Provided by McCormick Place Technology Services Department
- Phone: 312-791-6113
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some services are provided in-house by McCormick Place.
- Event planners can choose from a list of approved service providers for some electrical services.
Amenities available at this event venue include:
- Food courts: Along with brands such as Starbucks and McDonalds, McCormick Place offers a range of in-house catered cafés and restaurants.
- Information desks: Located in the south, west, and east buildings
- FedEx Office business center: Printing, document finishing, postage and shipping services, plus computer rentals and laptop docking stations
- First aid: Each building has a first aid station, staffed by licensed medical professionals. All stations are fully equipped, including automated external defibrillators.
- Lactation suites: Private areas for nursing mothers, located in the east and west buildings. Free Mamava app download required.
- 24-hour amenities: Vending machines and ATMs are available 24/7 in the west and south buildings.
Other amenities include gift shops, shoeshine service, and free basic Wi-Fi in public areas.
Chicago’s McCormick Place is attached to several hotels, and there are over 2,400 hotel rooms directly connected to the venue. Hotels near McCormick Place include:
- Hyatt Regency® McCormick Place
- Marriott Marquis Chicago
- Hilton Garden Inn™ Chicago McCormick Place
- Hampton Inn Chicago McCormick Place
- Home2 Suites by Hilton® Chicago McCormick Place
- Jaslin Hotel
- Wyndham® Chicago South Loop
Accessibility at McCormick Place
The Chicago venue complies with all ADA-required permanent accommodations.
- All buildings have a designated drop-off point with ramped curbs and automatic entry doors.
- With few exceptions, all rooms and theaters are wheelchair accessible. (A small number of limited-use rooms are not wheelchair-accessible.)
- Restrooms, elevators, first aid stations, and restaurants are accessible.
- Trained service animals are welcome at McCormick Place.
- McCormick Place has an in-house provider of wheelchair and scooter rentals, Scootaround.
For more information about ADA accessibility at McCormick Place, click here.
Transportation and Parking
Parking: There are three parking lots at the venue, all of which include ADA-accessible parking areas. Some overnight parking is available, and a limited number of guaranteed parking spots can be purchased online. In total there are 5,800 parking spaces available within walking distance of the venue.
Click here for more information about on-site parking.
Train: The Metra Electric Line and South Shore Line both stop at McCormick Place. The venue is also served by the Cermak-McCormick Place Green Line public transit.
Bus: McCormick Place is served by the McCormick busway, which connects the venue to hotels and other services in downtown Chicago.
Divvy Bike Program: McCormick Place participates in the Chicago Divvy Bike Program, which provides 24-hour passes to rent bikes at designated locations around the city.
Click here for more information about public transportation options.
Public Safety & Security
McCormick Place’s own security service patrols public areas of the buildings. Some events may require additional security services, and event planners are responsible for hiring any they need. When extra event security is required, the McCormick Place Security Department will work with the event planner to ensure the event’s security.
There are so many fantastic events in Chicago, IL. Will you choose Chicago for yours? If so, we can help make sure it’s unforgettable for your attendees. Contact ProGlobalEvents today!