With more than 2.3 million square feet to its name, the Walter E. Washington Convention Center is more than just an event venue. Housed within its walls is also an extensive—and renowned—collection of contemporary art. In fact, it’s one of the largest public art collections in Washington, D.C. Why is it also a great place to plan your corporate event? Find out.
Location and Contact Information
The Walter E. Washington Convention Center is located on Mt. Vernon Place in Washington, D.C.
Street Address: 801 Mt Vernon Place NW, Washington DC 20001
Web Contact: https://eventsdc.com/contact-us
Main Switchboard: (202) 249-3000
Sales and Booking: email@example.com or (202) 249-3311
Media Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For comprehensive venue information, see the Walter E. Washington Convention Center event planning guide.
To get started booking an event at this D.C. convention center, click here to fill in a contact request form.
Rooms and Spaces
TheWalter E. Washington Convention Center has more than 2.3 million square feet of space, including 703,000 square feet of exhibit space. With over 70 meeting and breakout rooms, there’s plenty of space to accommodate your needs. And with a recent grand lobby refresh and enhanced digital signage, this venue is looking better than ever.
Event spaces include:
- 198,000 square feet of flexible meeting facilities, with a total of 77 meeting rooms
- 52,000-square-foot ballroom—the largest ballroom in the mid-Atlantic region
- Exhibit halls configurable for theater, classroom, and banquet styles
- Concourse level: Exhibition space
- Level 1: Meeting rooms and breakout spaces
- Level 2: Exhibition space
- Level 3: Ballroom and pre-function spaces
- Plus: DC Downtown Dining District, a newly renovated flexible catering space totaling 17,200 square feet and featuring 4 flexible-use spaces with a total seated capacity of 432
For detailed floor plans, dimensions, and more, check out the Walter E. Washington Convention Center floor plan guide.
Event Types at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center
This conference center hosts many big events, including Otakon, Awesome Con, the IAPP Global Privacy Summit, and the National Book Festival. Several official government events have taken place here as well, including the 2010 Nuclear Security Summit and the 2022 United States-Africa Leaders’ Summit.
If you’re looking to host an exhibition or trade show, convention, conference, or summit, you’re in illustrious company here. The event venue’s facilities are ideal for large events, thanks to its massive exhibition spaces and expansive ballroom. Small meetings and events are welcome here too, as the venue has flexible meeting facilities that can be configured for more intimate groupings.
Exclusive and Preferred Vendors and Services
Audio/Visual: Exclusive services provided by Projection.
- (202) 249-3700
Catering: Provided exclusively by Aramark
Digital Communications Services: Including digital signage and digital media solutions, exclusively provided by Digital Conventions
- (202) 249-3900
Electrical/Plumbing: Exclusively provided by Hi-Tech Electric, LLC
- (202) 249-3600
Facilities Services: Cleaning services exclusively provided by Aramark.
Rigging: Exclusively provided by GLP Productions
- (202) 249-3607
Telecommunications and Internet: Provided exclusively by Smart City®
- (202) 249-3800
A Mamava® lactation pod is available for nursing mothers.
There are plenty of D.C. hotels near the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, with thousands of beds available within walking distance of the venue. Hotels in Washington DC include:
- Marriott Marquis Washington, DC
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Washington DC Convention Center
- Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
- Moxy Washington, DC Downtown
- Hampton Inn Washington-Downtown-Convention Center
- Comfort Inn Downtown DC/Convention Center
- Cambria® Hotel Washington, D.C. Convention Center
- Hilton Garden Inn® Washington DC Downtown
- Hamilton Hotel
The Walter E. Washington Convention Center aims to provide a seamless experience for every visitor to the venue, including people with support needs.
- Automatic doors are located at multiple venue entrances.
- Wheelchair accessible elevators, phones, drinking fountains, and restrooms are available throughout the venue.
- Braille signage is located throughout the venue, including in elevators.
- Meeting facilities and the ballroom are equipped with permanent infrared audio assistive listening systems.
- Event planners are responsible for providing mobility aids, including wheelchairs and mobility scooters. The event venue can provide a list of local rental companies upon request.
- There are a limited number of wheelchair-accessible lecterns and wheelchair lifts available at the venue, upon request.
- Service dogs are welcome, but not comfort or emotional support animals. Only qualified service dogs are authorized to enter the venue.
Transportation and Parking
There’s no on-site parking for this D.C. event venue, but there are multiple parking garages located nearby. The closest parking facility to the venue is the Parking Convention Center DC, located at 553 K St NW.
Event attendees have multiple options for traveling to the venue:
- The Walter E. Washington Convention Center is served by the Mount Vernon Square station of the Washington Metro. Both the Yellow and Green lines stop near the venue.
- Plan Metro and bus travel via https://www.wmata.com/, or call (202) 637-7000 for more information.
- Amtrak® serves the city’s train network. Travelers can connect to the venue on the Red Line.
Event organizers are required to hire independent service providers for security and crowd management. Your venue Sales or Event Manager can provide a list of preferred security providers. Security personnel must be available through the entire duration of the event, including move-in and move-out days. They must be licensed, bonded, and insured in the District of Columbia. In addition, Metropolitan Police Offers must be stationed at active cash-handling locations.
Event organizers are required to hire medical services and must choose from a list of exclusive medical providers. Medical services must be available throughout the entire event, including move-in and move-out days. Medical personnel must be licensed, bonded, and insured in the District of Columbia.
Washington, D.C. is home to so many amazing sights and pieces of history. Your event could become one of them. Contact the event planning team at ProGlobalEvents today for more information about how to make a DC event outstanding.